Five Dead, Including Two Teen Suspects, After Shooting At San Diego Mosque

Deadly Attack Shocks San Diego Muslim Community

Five people, including two teenage suspects, are dead following a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego in California in what authorities are investigating as a possible hate crime.

According to San Diego police, two armed teenagers opened fire outside the mosque shortly before midday prayers on Monday, killing three men, including a security guard, before the suspects were later found dead from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds in a nearby vehicle.

The attack unfolded at the Islamic Center of San Diego, one of the largest mosques in Southern California, during a busy period ahead of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.

Victims Included Mosque Security Guard

Authorities said one of the victims was a mosque security guard who was praised by officials and community leaders for helping prevent even greater loss of life.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said the guard managed to contain much of the violence near the front area of the mosque, allowing worshippers and children attending the center’s school to remain protected.

All children attending the mosque’s day school were accounted for safely after the shooting, police confirmed.

The identities of some victims had not been officially released as of Monday evening pending family notifications.

Teen Suspects Found Dead Nearby

Police said the suspects, reportedly aged 17 and 18, were found dead inside a vehicle not far from the mosque shortly after the attack. Investigators believe the pair died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

Law enforcement officials revealed that one suspect’s mother had contacted police earlier in the day, reporting that her son was suicidal and that firearms and a vehicle were missing from the home.

Authorities were already searching for the teenagers before the shooting began.

Investigators also reportedly discovered anti-Islamic writings and hate-related material connected to the suspects and the weapons used in the attack.

FBI Assisting Hate Crime Investigation

The FBI has joined local authorities in investigating the shooting, which police say is being treated as a hate crime unless evidence suggests otherwise.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl described the scene as “extremely chaotic” and said dozens of officers responded within minutes after receiving reports of an active shooter around 11:40 a.m. local time.

Investigators are examining the suspects’ backgrounds, online activities and possible ideological motivations.

Officials have not yet confirmed whether the attack was linked to any organized extremist group.

Community Leaders Condemn Violence

Religious leaders and public officials across California condemned the attack and expressed solidarity with the Muslim community.

California Governor Gavin Newsom said hatred and violence targeting places of worship “have no place in California,” while San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria described the incident as an act of terror against a faith community.

Taha Hassane, imam and director of the Islamic Center, told reporters the community was devastated by the tragedy.

“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” Hassane said following the attack.

Mosques across California and other parts of the United States reportedly increased security measures following the shooting.

Renewed Fears Over Attacks On Religious Institutions

The shooting has renewed concerns over violence targeting religious institutions in the United States.

San Diego previously experienced a major faith-based attack in 2019 during the Poway synagogue shooting, which authorities linked to extremist ideology.

Civil rights organizations and Muslim advocacy groups called for stronger protections for places of worship and tougher action against hate-driven violence.

Analysts say the latest attack comes amid growing concerns over extremist rhetoric and rising threats against religious communities across the country.

Investigation Continues

Authorities said the investigation remains active and additional details are expected to emerge as forensic teams analyze evidence recovered from the scene and the suspects’ vehicle.

Police also established reunification centers for affected families and increased patrols around religious institutions throughout the San Diego area.

Officials urged the public to avoid speculation while investigators continue gathering evidence regarding the motive and planning behind the deadly shooting.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *